Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Quick update!


Hi everyone. Just wanted to give a quick update on the family.

Elijah is doing well. We had to have an unexpected early pedi visit on Monday because Elijah was not pooping. My milk came in on Sat and he had a large stool then but had stopped production from there. My first thoughts of course were that he was not getting enough milk. I just remembered that Hannah pooped with each feeding no matter what. So Monday morning I called the office and explained the situation and the receptionist seemed very concerned, so we took him in.

Some stats.
Born at 9lbs 10 oz
Left hospital Thursday at 8lbs 15ozs
Monday at pedi 9lbs even

The pediatrician was not concerned about the lack of pooping. In fact he said just keep feeding him and it is most likely a transitional period. We could use a glycerin suppository if we felt necessary. Well we did that yesterday. Can I explain to you how difficult putting a suppository in a baby is? First off no one wants anything shoved up their bottom. Add to that a wiggly screaming baby and you get very tight rectal muscles which causes the suppository to continuosly pop out. Now to all my nurse friends, they don't teach you that in school!! But in the end all went well and we had great success.

After doing some investigation though I discovered that infrequent pooping in babies is not uncommon and less uncommon in breastfed babies. Turns out that the baby uses almost everything in the breastmilk and there is really very little bi product to excrete. Who knew? It just made me feel better.

Breastfeeding is going better. We had a bit of a latch issue which made for some sore umm nip nips. After a week we are doing better and I think we have started really getting into a groove.



No comments: