Saturday, March 29, 2008

Tips for a successful ER visit

I feel as though I need to post this as a public service announcement. There are some things that you should know when you decide that you have a condition that warrants you traveling to the ER. These are all things that are the same no matter what time of day or night that you decide to come in.

First off, if you come in through triage: this is the main desk in front where you tell the nurse why yo are here, remember that this is not a deli counter. It is not a first come, first serve event. Your toothache does not trump the chest pain that comes in after you, and yes, we do know you are in pain, because you have told us that over and over and over again.

Just because you call an ambulance for a toothache, dosen't mean that you will be seen faster. In fact, if it is busy enough, you will most likely walk right back out to the triage desk and hence the "first come first serve" is again thrown out the window.

If you come in knowing the names of the various pain medications that you prefer to have given IV, and which ones of that list works best for you, please do not be offended if we think that you are a drug seeker.

If you can walk across the entire ER, wait for me to come out of a pt's room, and then proceed to tell me you are DYING, you really are not.

If you have decided to come to the ER because of a serious condition, understand that tests and results take time. Telling me that you are upset because you have been waiting for an hour only makes me want to shake my head in front of you to tell you how you are really in for the long haul.

Lastly, the respect you show me, is the respect you receive in return.

1 comment:

Judy Moskowitz said...

Many idiots will come through the ER doors but there will also be the true emergencies and you will save lives. That is what you are really there for and that is what will count in the end.

If I win the lottery I will share it with you!