Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Vacation Sunday-Day of no return

My morning on Sunday started off with a 2:30 am wake up call. After waking up and getting dressed I made my way to the food court to grab a bagel and some Powerade. I was at the staging area by 3:45 am and sat in the lot watching the band play. The first thing I noticed is how warm it was that morning. Not a good thing because I knew it meant the day would be hot hot hot. I waited until they announced it was time to check our bags and head to the corrals around 5am. At 6am the fireworks started and we were off. I felt awesome through mile 9. So awesome infact that I thought I would see Dave and tell him, this aint so bad. I should have just stopped that dialog right then and there. From there on it was downhill. The soles of my feet by my toes started to hurt, no KILL infact. I had to slow down and never regained my momentum. My feet were on fire, it literally felt like the skin had peeled off. I kept trekking along.
At Mile 13 I was halway done. In my head I said : "If I had signed up for the half marathon, I would be DONE right now!!!!!!!" My feet were still terrible but again I trekked along.
Chip and Dale in Disneys Magic Kingdom


At Mile 20 all things changed. I started to fight the "SWEEP". At Disney World you have to keep a 16 minute mile pace. If you fall behind they put up red flags at the mile marker and the state troopers put up a stop and you cannot proceed. They do this mainly because they shut down the roads for the runners and need to reopen the road. At mile 20 they announced we were 3 minutes ahead of the sweeper. Ok when you get to mile 20 there is no way that anyone was going to remove me peacefully from the course!!!! And so I had to pick it up. At mile 21 I was 2:30 ahead of the sweeper. At 22, 2:30, at 23 1:45, at 24 1:15. At mile 25 I was behind, the red flag was up, but because we had re entered Epcot and were off the roads, they did not impose a sweep!!!!! Thank goodess. Could you imagine getting swept then?? I can tell you that at that point I was spent. The sun was hot hot and I wanted tobe DONE. I knew that if I stopped to stretch, I would never get going again. I crossed the finish line at 7:10:36. Exhilerating is not even the feeling I felt. The hobble to the bus was bad, and the hotel room never seemed so far away from the bus stop as ever.
That night we hobbled over to Downtown Disney for dinner. I could eat whatever I wanted without any guilt lol!!!!!!!!

1 comment:

Butterfly said...

How are you feeling now?